We are in the process of transitioning to a new online portal, and during this transition U.S. Citizens* may contribute to the PAC via check at this time. Please note that contributions to political causes are not eligible for tax-deduction. Limitations exist on how much money a person can give per year.**
Checks can be made out to "Detroit XPAC" and mailed to the P.O. Box location on the Contact Us page. Please note whether you would like your donation to go towards a "Federal", "State/Local" or "Transportation" category.
Supports elections run through the State of Michigan, including local office in Detroit, (i.e. Gubernatorial, State House, State Senate and County-level) as well as support to pass the transportation millage.
*To contribute to the political action committee, you must be a US Citizen. If you are not a US Citizen, please tell your friends about our organization and help us spread the word. Also, please consider an alternative donation to one of these great causes.
Why should I make a contribution to you?
We know that Michigan pride doesn’t stop at the border. Contribute today because you love Detroit and Michigan. Contribute to us if you'd like to support candidates who will back initiatives to bring public transportation to the city of Detroit, who will invest in improving public schooling and who will assist with ensuring the safety of Detroit's citizens, in a fiscally responsible manner.
We're doing the research. We know and are getting to know the candidates. We're cross-referencing to make sure that who and what we're supporting also has local support. We show results.
What do you stand for?
We will support candidates who are:
- Pro-Detroit - Candidates who have demonstrated that they will not support revitalization efforts for the City or whose plans are to remove elective power from the City will not be receiving our support.
- Pro-Environment - Candidates who have demonstrated a commitment to building environmental design into the neighborhood, including investing in public transportation efforts, urban farming efforts, zoning changes to allow creative sustainable businesses, pro-parks, walkable communities, considerate of the potential for blight reclamation, and whose ideas fuse environmental planning into the future plans for the city are the type of candidates we support.
- Pro-Community - Candidates who find a way to balance the needs of the current residents with the needs of future residents are the type of candidates we hope to support. This may include social justice considerations, smart growth design, strong school districts, capable community centers, supportive of creative communities, historic preservation and new business attraction
- Fiscally - responsible - Candidates who find a way to meet the basic needs of the city: safety and community without repeating the mistakes of past politicians, ushering Detroit out of bankruptcy will for example be the type of candidates we support.
- Pro-Business - Candidates who are interested in bringing a diverse array of businesses to Detroit and who have plans to attract and retain businesses in a way that create healthy, safer, more culturally enriching communities are the type of candidates we support.
How it works:
Political Action Committees may donate directly to candidates. They may also spend money on media and educational campaigns and to other PACs. Our specific PAC is unaffiliated with any one particular party or candidate. We are an unaffiliated independent expenditure committee. We endorse the candidates whose political platforms, and if possible, whose history of action, reflects an understanding of place-making, sustainable urban planning and fiscal responsibility. We send out requests to understand the issues on candidate platforms about which we care most. We review candidate responses to surveys and interviews. A committee of volunteers reviews the responses matching them against the goals of our organization, which will also align with the goals of local organizations. Once selected, we'll pool donations, and we'll report out where the money was allocated.
How Much Goes To The Cause?
100% of all funds will go to support Detroit XPAC and its mission. To be even clearer: Our volunteers are dedicating their time and talent to the organization gratis. For the first few years, we will do our best to put as much of the donations towards candidate related activity as possible. We would like to dedicate only what is absolutely necessary to administrative support in order to run the organization.
What is your Strategy?
Great question. To sum it up:
2014 - "The Beta Year." We launched our website, set up our first advisory group, are recruiting volunteers and spending most of our time building our name recognition and our network of Michiganders. We plan to participate in at least 3 campaigns, one at the local, state and Federal level.
2015 - We will launch in 3 additional cities, establishing on the ground networks for Detroit XPAC, and fundraising for the 2016 campaigns. We will continue to build our network and will start to participate in policy conversations.
2016- Presidential election year and City Council Election Year - which means higher turnout at the polls. We will announce the races that are important to Detroit's future and will weigh in on our candidate choices before the primaries, specifically focusing on City Council elections, County elections and State elections and the Public Transportation Millage. Detroit XPAC will spend time meeting with City Council candidates and will participate in City Council races by endorsing candidates for Detroit City Council and for Mayor. We will also launch new XPAC groups in more cities across the country.
2017 - Keep building momentum. We will launch in 3 additional cities, establishing more on the ground networks for Detroit XPAC, and fundraising for the 2018 campaigns. We will continue to build our network and will continue our participation in policy conversations.